Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Caspersz Adrian Caspersz is offline

Default black friday

I certainly used Which at one time (many years ago). And was never
disappointed by any of their 'Best Buys' But having got most of the things
I wanted, decided it was an unnecessary expense - given that with the
internet developing, I no longer looked forward to reading it as before.

'Which' dumbed down selections into a top ten list.

A friend, probably well meaning but ultimately misguided, became a
famous reference for his near folks in selecting good appliances to buy.
He'd typically suggest the top of the top ten, ignoring the rest of the
supporting article, which may have had good reasons for some folks not
going for that choice.

So one pensioner bought a rather posh plasma TV just on his
'recommendation'.

This had a picture dynamic range superb for dark goth horror movies, a
remote control with zillions of buttons for intended geek tinkering and
a pretty high enthusiast price tag. But scored highly in Which, so must
be OK. Generally OK for everyone. Right.....

Er, nope.

Her TV interests strayed nowhere from watching coronation street, and
although I would have loved to show her some of the fantastic unused
features on her set, it was sadly all too complicated for her to fathom
out. She had particular concern on how to switch the input to video, to
replay old video tapes of family weddings. It was fiddly.

If he could have just given her Which to read, she might have chosen a
more suitable set. Or she could have just asked me.

--
Adrian C