Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Dash Cam (again)

"therustyone" wrote in message
On Friday, 18 November 2016 19:04:46 UTC, Bill wrote:
I'm thinking of upgrading the very cheap camera in the car after an
incident (now resolved) where a recording showing accurate time and
place would have been useful.

i got a Transcend camera which has v good video quality. The drawback is
the internal battery for the clock only lasts a day. So if you don't use
the car every day, and the cig. socket doewn't stay on, the date and time
is lost unless you fiddle with the settings for 5 mins.
Some cars can have the socket set on permanently by swapping cables round,
like my very old departed Saab 9-5

I've not seen that with our Transcend DrivePro 220. Although my wife uses
her car every week day, there are times when it is not used between about 6
PM on Friday and 7 AM on Monday, and the time hasn't been reset.

Is there a setting to make the dashcam get its time from GPS rather than
from its own internal clock? If so, I wonder if yours is set to use internal
clock. I know that the internal battery for continuing recording after the
power is removed gives very little recording time (only a few minutes) but
as I understand it, that uses a separate battery (maybe even a capacitor) to
the one used for battery back up of the clock.

Leaving the cigarette lighter on when the ignition is off would have the
side effect that the camera would carry on recording when the car was
parked, overwriting earlier recordings after an hour or so (time dependent
on size of memory card).