Kyle Boatright

Default Renovating lawn

"HK" wrote in message
.. .
I'm about to embark on a complete replacement of my lawn. I've done a lot
of research on the net and find advice to be evenly divided between using
Roundup to kill the old lawn (and weeds) and removing/chopping up the old
lawn with a lawn cutter or tiller.

Being a lazy guy, I'm attracted to the Roundup method but I have one
question. I plan to resod, not seed. So, if I just lay the new sod over
the old lawn, won't I end up with a lawn that's a inch or so higher the

the
old one?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

To do it right, you need to roundup the existing lawn, let it die for a week
or so, roundup the surviving patches again, then till after another week or
so. Rake off the debris, then re-sod.

Depending on how much debris (thatch, roots, rocks, etc.) you remove, you
may or may not raise the level of your lawn.

Simply applying roundup then over-sodding will raise your lawn level. Also,
it will leave a layer of dead grass between your sod and the soil its roots
need. That layer may cause you problems later by acting like a barrier to
either roots, water, or nutrients.

KB