Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Charging battery in situ

On Saturday, 26 November 2016 09:09:26 UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
On 26/11/2016 04:16, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 25 November 2016 19:06:55 UTC, MrCheerful wrote:
On 25/11/2016 18:19, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 25 November 2016 00:33:34 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

I don't see the reason for using the chassis unless testing the earth,
but you don't need a charger for that!

I persume the idea is to reduce current if anything shorts, thus
avoiding fire.

With a battery charger? Don't think even the very cheapest I've ever seen
was devoid of some form of protection against shorts.

That of course offers no protection against the leads wearing through and shorting.

my old style battery charger has an overload thermal manual reset
switch, modern ones just shut down electronically (if the leads short
together)

which of course offers no protection against the leads wearing through and shorting.

Yes, they do, if the leads short the unit stops powering those leads.

which obviously makes not the remotest difference to the current flowing through them from the battery. What is wrong with some people?