Posted to uk.d-i-y
George George is offline

Default X Reg Ford Ka. Has anyone experienced this noise?

On Sunday, 27 November 2016 15:58:04 UTC, George wrote:
My wife's car has just started to produce noises that can only be described a strange, from the Steering Wheel. When it is turned it sounds as if there is a small wire brush inside the area just below the actual steering wheel containing the Air Bag. I have removed the cover and tried to pin-point from whence it comes, but it does not seem to be at all localised. I thought that maybe a piece of cellophane sweet wrapper had got into the works somehow.

I does not seem to change anywhere the wheel is turned to and I have tried an air pressure line to try and dislodge anything stuck in a crack somewhere, to no avail.

The local garage has offered to dismantle the steering head assembly and change the spiral connection that they say feeds connections to the horn and the air bag, but the charge would be more than the car is worth.

My reaction to this is to turn up the radio or always to travel in a straight line, however neither of these solutions are really satisfactory. I would really like to hear if anyone has heard this before or has any idea what it might be. Is it likely to a. get better, b. stay the same, or c. set off the airbag or the horn at the most inconvenient time.

Any comments would be welcome. Thanks George.