Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.satellite.gps,sci.electronics.repair
Raymond Spruance III Raymond Spruance III is offline

Default What does decent celestial navigation freeware on Android actually do?

Do you know anything about celestial navigation?

What's important in the software?
http://opencpn.org/ocpn/node/143

Other than sighting Polaris' angle from the horizon, and noting that the sun
rises in the east and sets in the west, I have never had a need for
celestial navigation software on Android.

However, I want to test out celestial navigation, on a lark mostly, but more
to learn how it's done (in case I ever need it in an emergency) and to show
a high school math teacher how its done so she can use it to make trig more
interesting to her students.

Looking up celestial navigation software, I find plenty of paywa
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id=com.vikrant
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ics.app.celnav
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...otz.starstruck
http://appcrawlr.com/android/observa...celestial-body
etc.

But it's standard policy to never buy the payware until you've exhausted the
freeware, if for no other reason than you *know* exactly what you need the
payware to do if/when the freeware fails. (99% of the time or more, the
freeware does what you need, at least on Android.)

Looking up the freeware celestial navigation software, I find:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...stroNavigation
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Sightreduction
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...stialnavigator

All I ask in this thread are the basic questions anyone new to celestial
navigation would ask:
a. What freeware is the best one to try out first?
b. What are the minimum required features of that freeware