Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Reliable Slide Switches?

"Ron D." wrote in
:

You can get slide switches with threaded holes. This is typically
used in a ceiling fan.

I haven't found any with threads with the required 1.125" hole spacing.

I have found both a Switchcraft and a CW switch that use the old style
folded metal & phenolic PCB construction, but no threaded holes. Both
are rated for 3A (vs 6A for the plastic C&K), which should still be OK,
even for the original 20W 12V AC halogen bulb. With the LED replacement
bulb, it should be loafing.

Both the Switchcraft and the CW cost about half what the C&K do. They
are all so cheap that I will probably just order a couple of each. I
will try the C&K again on the theory that I may have gotten ones from a
bad batch. I'll also take the flaky one apart & see if I can figure out
what the failure mechanism is. if one of the replacements dies
prematurely, I will install a Switchcraft.

I'll report back when I have the replacements in hand & do an autopsy on
the bad one.

Doug White