Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default RCA P60928 convergence

On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 3:18:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 10:06:12 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Thank you for the info. I do know how to adjust the convergence rings not an expert but fairly good at it.

There is *NO* need to touch those rings unless a CRT or yoke was replaced.. Doing so will most likely throw off the DC idle current enough to cause the convergence outputs to run hot.

There's another thing people do not know. In a RPTV you do NOT set the rings (with the convergence unpowered) to converge in the middle. Depending on which way the CRTs are arranged you set green in the center and then red or blue to converge at 1/3 of the screen over from the left and the other color, red or blue to converge at 1/3 from the right.

See there's something I didn't mention, did not occur to me. That's one of the reasons we don't like divulging the information, you practically have to write a book. But believe it or not, that mis-centering takes a load off the convergence outputs. That is partly because they have put ALL the geometry on the convergence. It is also due to the inherent horizontal linearity correction need for the red and blue. The slight offset needed in the middle does not outweigh the fact that this scheme allows them to use a slightly lower voltage to the convergence outputs which lessens their dissipation.

Note that I was THE ****ING EXPERT in this state on these things. Seriously.. I can just about design one of these things but now that is a bunch of useless knowledge. My boss introduced me to someone as "The best tech in northeast Ohio" and I said "Northeast ?". He apologized later. But at the time it was my specialty and when it was where the money is at I made them a fortune. They got sick of the winters and moved to Florida. Next job the owner had a heart attack. I have never been fired from a good job. ****ty jobs yes, but not good ones.