Marilyn and Bob

Default replacing old non-grounded (2 prong) electric receptacles

If you have a metal box and BX (metal sheathed) cable all the way back to
your main breaker box, it is possible that your system is grounded. In that
case you can put in grounded outlets.

But as everyone has pointed out, you cannot connect the ground to your
neutral and think that it is grounded. Nor will a GFCI replace a real
ground.

So I would recommend getting a licensed electrician out there. S/He can
tell you what the actual situation is.
--
Peace,
BobJ

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Don't do it!! It is dangerous, big time.

If you want better looking outlets, just buy new non-grounded ones. I
believe you can still get them, but not at Kmart.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"David Jensen" wrote in message
om...
I have a 50 year old house that I am remodeling. It has the old
2-prong style (non-grounded) receptacles. From what I understand, the
code will not technically allow it, but, is there any reason why I
shouldn't use the regular grounded receptacles to replace the old two
prong? The old ones have been painted over several times and I'm
thinking it will look nice to replace them. An electrician tells me
that the neutral wire can be daisy chained to the ground screw so that
we don't need to run a new ground wire. Is there any harm or problem
or reason why I would not want to do that? You can buy the old
2-prong style, but they are expensive. I was told that you can also
put a GFI at every position, but that is even more expensive.

Thank you very much for your thoughts on this matter.

David