Posted to uk.d-i-y
RJH[_2_] RJH[_2_] is offline

Default Hive central heating controller - one channel or two

On 25/11/2016 12:40, tim... wrote:

"NY" wrote in message
We're thinking of getting a Hive remote-controlled central heating
controller/thermostat so we can set our heating to come on several
hours before we get home from holiday etc.

seems a pretty weak reason for spending 150 quid on a "toy"

I've a Heatmiser version of the same - has worked pretty well for the
past 5 years. I'm not sure if the new ones are the same - but mine is
just a plug-in replacement for a standard thermostat. I didn't want one
with power supply and receiver box.

An extra with mine is the need for a managed DNS address. It costs me
about £25pa with Dyn - but I use it for other things. I think some
manufacturers include it.

I find it quite useful as my hours are irregular.

And I'm sure remote controls, mobile phones and horseless carriages were
once considered 'toys' too. Oh the young things today, whatever next :-)

--
Cheers, Rob