Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default black friday

In article ,
Johnny B Good wrote:
Yesterday (Friday afternoon), my missus reminded me that I *still*
hadn't gotten around to pursuing the "promised research" into buying a
'modern telly' to replace the Panasonic widescreen CRT telly (bought 2nd
hand by my son a few years before and which he had donated to his mum
as an upgrade to replace a smaller 28(?)inch Panasonic set (still
working but then begining to show symptoms of its 20 odd years of
faithful service) that we'd bought off the rental company (a legacy
from before we were married) a couple of decades earlier for the
princely sum of, afaicr, fifty quid.

If you are replacing what was a decent CRT set that you were once happy
with, look very carefully at what you buy.

A decent CRT was capable of giving extremely good rendition of the flesh
tones. Many LCDs struggle to do this well. Possibly down to the quality of
the backlight. Samsung of the common TV makes in particular seems to give
all faces that sun tanned look. And can be very tricky to adjust to give
even their not too good best in this respect.

If you're the type where 'vibrant' colours are all that matters, any will
probably do.

But all these things change by the day, as backlight LEDs improve. So
difficult to say what to go for. Except that most of the 'bargain' ones
from 'unknown' TV makers are far more likely to be poor in this respect.

Oddly, my not so new computer monitor is better than any of my TVs in this
respect. But then it did cost rather more than a TV with the same size
screen.

The really big problem is it's impossible to assess a picture in a store.
You need to view a big variety of stuff over a long time to find the one
that suits you best.

--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.