Posted to uk.d-i-y
therustyone therustyone is offline

Default black friday

On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 12:44:25 PM UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 24/11/16 11:37, tim... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news
any bargains to be had?

Last year in Tesco

they had Laptops for 99 pounds and 50in TVs for 199

OK they were no-name brands but at that price what's to lose?

Well. I decided I needed a laptop mainly so I could lie in bed an watch
TV and read books and play games on it.

I paid 199 IIRC - a Tosh satellite.

The good news: It had bags of RAM (4GB I think) a TB of disk, a rather
better than expected sound system wit speakers in TOP of the keyboard.
Underneath, with a a duvet there, is not cleaver.
It also runs Linux perfectly.
The keyboard is not bad.

The bad news: a year later one of the plasticky USB sockets has fallen
to pieces, and the LCD screen has the worst viewing angle and contrast
of any LCD I have ever seen. I can JUST about watch a video if I have it
a JUST the right angle...

So be warned. Build quality, sound quality, keyboard usability, screen
quality - tehse are all things you need to check are adequate for YOUR
intended usage.

I also once bought a Tosh Satellite, for a lot more than that. First the touch screen stopped being touchy, then one hinge seized up which I fixed by dismantling and silicone grease (seems to be an common problem). Since then the screws holding the base all come loose regularly because the chassis flexes a lot. On the other hand it still goes like the clappers with Win10 as a computer so worth keeping going.