Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword James Wilkinson Sword is offline

Default Are 3A plug fuses really necessary? Why not always 13A?

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 12:59:10 -0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 23/11/2016 08:30, wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 November 2016 00:01:55 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/11/2016 22:47, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 20:23:21 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/11/2016 12:06, Roger Hayter wrote:

Realistically the fuse is not going to provide overload
protection, just fault protection for the flex for modern
small electronic appliances. I thought that was what you
said earlier in the thread?

Indeed it is. I was just trying to get the bottom of what Nige
was actually attempting to achieve with his lowest possible
fuse that's adequate scenario - I understand the adequate bit
- it must offer fault protection, but assuming we have got past
the "it gives adequate fault protection" stage, there seem to
be diminishing returns.

Depending on the appliance, it could end up being an exercise
in blowing lots of small fuses working your way up to the
optimal one.

Most appliances are not going to need specific overload
protection and many that do may include a 750mA (or whatever)
20mm glass cartridge fuse for the purpose. Those alone though
won't provide fault protection (inadequate breaking capacity
usually), so sny BS1362 fuse in the plug will do in many of
those cases.

But a small significant percentage of appliances have neither
short nor overload protection on a 13A fuse. Why you don't get
that I really don't get.

I "get" that crusty old crap, and 5A extension leads need specific
fusing.

and new crap that is often CE mismarked.

I am not sure what your fascination with dangerous and substandard goods
is in particular.

Yes there is loads of crap that is electrically unsafe and being sold
illegally.

Don't lul yourself into a false sense of security that sticking a 3A
fuse in it its going to suddenly make it safe - it will likely still be
dangerous!

The lack of fusing or inadequate mains cable is usually the tip of the
iceberg. Look closely and you will often see metalwork coupled directly
to mains,

For example?

--
I don't care what they say, I don't think "phone sex" is any fun at all, unless you happen to be in the same booth with her.