Posted to uk.d-i-y
James Wilkinson Sword James Wilkinson Sword is offline

Default Are 3A plug fuses really necessary? Why not always 13A?

On Tue, 22 Nov 2016 00:58:07 -0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 21/11/2016 21:19, wrote:
On Monday, 21 November 2016 12:53:57 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/11/2016 04:09, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 20 November 2016 22:46:03 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/11/2016 21:55, tabbypurr wrote:

It's called a straw man when you invent something totally
brainless, claim the other person said it then criticise it.
And it ain't worth discussing.

So grow up and stop doing it then.

Oh. Silly me I thought it was you that invented & argued about
the idea of changing extension lead fuses every time something
different was plugged in.

You said "When you have an extension lead plugged into another, or
an old appliance, or something bought from China, it certainly
does."

ie it does matter what fuse you use.

So, if you are not alluding to selecting an appropriate fuse for
the extension lead, what are you suggesting?

Let's get it clear in case anyone is still confused. For all plugs I
pick the lowest fuse that will reliably serve. It's what I recommend
others to do too. If folk don't want to, it's not my life, it's
theirs.

And how do you know what that value is? Given in many cases its not as
simple as looking at the nominal run current - you may need to take into
account inrush.

It's quite simple, you divide the watts by the volts and put a fuse of that value (or the next one up if the result is inbetween). If the fuse blows when you turn it on, you need a bigger one for inrush.

--
FOR SALE BY OWNER. Complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica , 45 volumes.
Excellent condition, £200 or best offer.