Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default Hive central heating controller - one channel or two

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"Peter Andrews" wrote in message
news
On 25/11/2016 10:33, NY wrote:
We're thinking of getting a Hive remote-controlled central heating
controller/thermostat so we can set our heating to come on several hours
before we get home from holiday etc.

I'm trying to work out whether we need a single- or dual-channel
controller. Hive's customer support was di they wouldn't offer any
advice and just said "speak to a qualified central heating installer".
Imagine not being able to offer any pre-sales advice!

We have a combi boiler which currently has a dual-timer: one for the
central heating and one for the hot water. The hot water is pre-heated
in a reservoir in the boiler, hence the reason for being able to time
when that pre-heat comes on and off, so it's not wasting fuel keeping
the reservoir hot overnight.

Hive say "single-channel for combi; dual channel for conventional boiler
with hot water cylinder". Our system sounds as if it has some features
of both: it's mostly heat-on-demand but with timed pre-heat of a small
reservoir in the boiler.

So, single or dual?

I kicked any thought of Hive into touch when I saw that 'they' would have
full details of my usage, i.e. every time it went on/off, etc. Quite
apart from the subscription charge, at that (any) price I can live
without it.

OMG, does it come with a sub

I thought it was free to use once you had paid the inflated price to buy
it

It *is* free. Peter Andrews may have been thinking of the "rental" version
available as an alternative to outright purchase for British Gas customers.
I assume that in the subscription model, you are paying to rent the Hive
controller - three boxes: "hub" which is wired to router and talks
wirelessly (maybe by private wireless network) to "receiver" which is the
on-off switches for the CH and hot water systems and the "thermostat" which
includes user controls such as boost, temp up/down in addition to on-line
controls.