Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tdacon tdacon is offline

Default gouging sharpeners

"graham" wrote in message news
In Canada, the Tormek:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...=1,43072,67090

Chinese knock-off:
http://www.busybeetools.com/products...r-craftex.html

These systems are not really made for turning tools.

Graham

I don't know about the Chinese knock-off, but the Tormek sharpens turning
tools just fine.

What it's not good for is shaping tools, since it turns slow and has a fine
stone. But Tormek sells an adapter that you can set up so that you can use
the Tormek jigs with a dry grinding wheel when you have a lot of metal to
remove, like when you're changing the profile on a tool. Then just take the
jig and the tool over to the Tormek for final sharpening and honing, if you
hone your turning tools. I use the system that way and it makes a great
setup.

Tom