Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Moving light switch to the other side of the door

"GB" wrote in message
news
On 24/11/2016 08:25, Brian Gaff wrote:
Sounds like a bodge to me, but have you thought of perhaps putting in a
radio controlled switch in the original place and using a glued on
battery
operated remote which you can put wherever you want it. As long as you
can
get to it to change the batteries it should work well over such a short
distance.

The receiver could be in the ceiling rose. That would save running a cable
to the light switch altogether. Why isn't that done routinely, as it would
surely be cheaper in new builds than the traditional method?

Got some downsides tho. That is the way a house we just bought did
the twin bathrooms. They have one of those combination heater/fan/light
square things in the ceiling of each of them with a remote that allows you
to individually control the heater/fan/light etc.

Trouble is that the manufacturer of that no longer supplys
those anymore and so you can't get replacement remotes.

Not an insurmountable problem if the remotes are standardised
and there are certainly some like the X10 and Nest systems which
are sort of, but I can't see the industry going that route any time soon.