Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Virgin media cabling

On 24/11/2016 10:46, GMM wrote:

I'm assuming (from what I can glean online) that distribution is via
co-ax. I have a drum of RG6 already - Is that OK or should I source
something different if I have to do this? Clearly, this presents some
issues as it's not the most flexible stuff going.

Finally, is there any problem with running this alongside power cables,
as would be the case for networking?

You need to use as a minimum CT100 cable. It's a couple of years since I
did the internal Virgin Media wiring on some new flats and VM supplied
the cable. It was not much more than a combined telephone cable with a
CT100.

We ran two of these from each apartment (one in the hall and one behind
the TV) to the basement and left the basement work to VM. In the
apartments we put a VM 1g blanking plate over the cables. The customers
that chose to use VM then had the blanking plate swapped for a VM box
similar to this
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...534C3?v=mpbl-1.

You should ideally keep the CT100 75mm away from any parallel power cables.

And yes if you want a "cow's **** of a job doing" then I am sure VM will
be more than happy to oblige you - it's the only service that they
supply free of charge.

VM would of course would like to charge for such a service - however
OFCOM ruled that they should bring their charges down to the same level
as the BT and SKY engineers who have for years offered this service for
free.

--
Adam