Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grab Bars in a Shower Stall

On Thu, 24 Nov 2016 08:42:52 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Thu, 24 Nov 2016 10:50:19 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 11/24/2016 9:09 AM, Charles Bishop wrote:
I've been asked to help install grab bars in an (E) tiled shower stall.
What is the best way to do this? Ordinarily I'd drill a hole through the
tile and whatever is behind it -mortar, greenwall, or backer board and
install the grab bar with toggle bolts.

I got to wondering though that if I drill a hole large enough for a
toggle bolt to go through, I might be weakening the wall enough that
holding onto the grab bar might pull some tiles loose, leading to
additional work.

Additionally, the house is an older one, having been built in late 50's
or 60's so it's likely there is a mortar bed - it looks to be the
original tile. If the mortar crumbles around the hole, the toggle bolt
will be pulling on the tile, maybe.

Considering the construction, I'd try to avoid toggle bolts. Can you
find a stud? Long screws in the stud is perfect.

+1

If the tile doesn't go all the way up to the ceiling, find the studs
above the tile. Then use a string and a plumb-bob to assist finding
the studs behind the tile.

and if they do go to the top, what about the wall behind? Locate the
studs on the back of the wall and drill through the stud with a small
drill - and out through the tile to locate the first stud, then just
go 16" over for the next ione. Patch the 1/8" hole on the backside of
the wall.