Posted to uk.d-i-y
Reentrant[_8_] Reentrant[_8_] is offline

Default Dry Verges

On 24/11/2016 13:23, Chris J Dixon wrote:
There seems to be a move to retro-fit plastic dry verges these
days, with plenty of firms touting for business.

My cement tiled roof is due for some attention, and I don't do
aerial clambering.

Are they a good idea? What are they screwed into?

What sort of prices are reasonable? I am in a semi, but next door
is lower, so I effectively have two gable ends.

Unusually for me, I was curious enough to allow a caller at my
door to give me a price, which started at £550, then dropped by
£100. I've just had a flyer for another outfit (devoid of street
address) which would be £298.

What dodges do the unscrupulous use, about which I should be
wary?

Chris

I think they screw to the fascia. They look awful though - retrofit ones
in particular.
Mortar always cracks after a few years - I guess it can't cope with the
movement caused by thermal expansion/contraction of the different
materials. I'm surprised no-one seems to have come up with a permanent,
UV-proof, flexible (and cheap) alternative filler to cement-based mortar.

--
Reentrant