Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grab Bars in a Shower Stall

On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 9:09:14 AM UTC-6, Charles Bishop wrote:
I've been asked to help install grab bars in an (E) tiled shower stall.
What is the best way to do this? Ordinarily I'd drill a hole through the
tile and whatever is behind it -mortar, greenwall, or backer board and
install the grab bar with toggle bolts.

I got to wondering though that if I drill a hole large enough for a
toggle bolt to go through, I might be weakening the wall enough that
holding onto the grab bar might pull some tiles loose, leading to
additional work.

Additionally, the house is an older one, having been built in late 50's
or 60's so it's likely there is a mortar bed - it looks to be the
original tile. If the mortar crumbles around the hole, the toggle bolt
will be pulling on the tile, maybe.
--
charles

When I had to attach something heavy to a wall in a commercial kitchen and I wasn't sure about what was behind it or I couldn't locate it where there were studs, I would visit my pal at a sheet metal shop and get one foot square stainless steel pieces that were at least 1/8" thick and drill multiple holes so I could install a lot of anchors in the wall surface. I would then attach the heavy item to the sheet metal. I've done the same thing with hand rails and grab bars. Spread the load. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Grabby Monster