Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Oregon official who bullied Christian bakery owners loses election

On Wednesday, November 23, 2016 at 6:15:23 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
On 11/23/2016 4:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/23/2016 1:42 PM, Muggles wrote:

First Amendment gives freedom of religion as well FROM it. The
government cannot force us to practice a religion.

The first Amendment gives freedom of religion. It says nothing about
freedom FROM religion.

Have you read it?

yes ... have you?

Is it OK then, for the government to force us to
practice a religion?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof;
Where does it say we have freedom FROM religion??

The first sentence above. It means the government stays out of
religion, do what you want, or NOT.

No, it means the government can't make any laws that ESTABLISH religion.
It says NOTHING about having a right to freedom FROM religion.

It does say we cannot create laws that establish religion, but it also
says we can't prohibit the free exercise of religion.

Right, it cannot make you. You can avoid religion of you choose to do so.

Sure, you can avoid religion, but you don't have a right to shut up
other people just because you don't want to be exposed to it via people
who express their freedom of religion.

--
Maggie

But of course it's OK to deny two gay people in a committed relationship
the same rights that heterosexual people have. Go figure. I've yet to see
anyone denying you religious folks the right to express your freedom of
religion. It's just that some of you think that right includes things like
holding prayer sessions in school in front of the whole class.