Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Moving light switch to the other side of the door

On 24/11/2016 14:04, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 21:05:22 +0000, JoeJoe wrote:

I'm planning to re-hung 2 doors to open in the opposite way and want to
change the light switches to suit.

They are on (very tough) brick walls, with very limited access to under
floor/above ceiling, so no easy way to go about it without the need for
quite major re-decoration after (which I want to avoid if at all
possible...).

The builder who did our extension several years ago did a similar thing
at our request to another door/switch. The guy that carried out the work
was a qualified electrician that the builder employed.

I watched him at the time, and this is what he did:

- Crimped an extension to the cable(s) from the position of the "old"
switch - Chiselled/chased a shallowish (5-6cm) channel along the 15cm
from the switch to be removed to the door frame.
- Chased a channel along the 15cm from the door frame to the position of
the new switch.
- Chiselled a space for the new switch.
- Temporarily removed the door's architrave - Ran the cable(s) along the
channels and around the door in the gap behind the architrave to the new
switch position.
- Replaced architrave - Installed new switch - Plastered over chased
channels old switch.

Is this an acceptable solution? Does it comply with current regulation?

PS: He was responsible for a lot of electrical work at the time (very
substantial extension), and I was less than impressed by the quality of
his work in general (part of it perhaps was the result of constantly
being rushed by the builder).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Echo-K4786-...ransmitter/dp/
B004FPXZRG

That's just the switch for 80 squid. The receiver is the same again. I'm
sure the quality is there, but there are alternatives for a lot less.