Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are 3A plug fuses really necessary? Why not always 13A?

On Wednesday, 23 November 2016 14:47:01 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 November 2016 11:07:00 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
So those chinese goods with barely 0.1mm2 are uprotected on a 13A
fuse.

I ask again. Why are you buying such things that you know to be
rubbish?

Lots of people buy cheap **** in the hope it will do a simialar thing to
a full priced version of the same thing. Some just because it looks the
same and others might think they own a better product than they actually
do, or it's an image thing where they fool themselves too. if people
didn't want such things we wouldn't be getting fake things coming into
the UK or anywhere else.

There's a very big difference between a fake and something merely sold as
cheaply as possible. The former is an attempt to deceive. So everything
else goes out the window. The latter to capture a sector of the market.

and the middle ground were you get 'fake' chennel no.5 a friend of mine used to be a lookout down oxford street while somneone sold such things out of a suitcase.

A low cost product may or may not be value for money.

But they are rarely if ever faked.

The obvious one
being power tools. A Lidl cordless drill at 40 quid almost certainly isn't
as good as a 100 quid Makita. But may perform DIY tasks more than
adequately.

But what if it's branded Makita and cost £40.

If you're not, no point in telling the world they should fit an
appropriate fuse, as they're not listening. And wouldn't understand
anyway.

It can also cost more to adhere to any regualtions that are imposed by
an authority.

Anything on sale in the UK should conform to UK regs. No point in having
them if not enforced.

I guess you've never watched Rip of Britain.

I've got a nice big selection box of 20mm fuses. Hope they don't have a
shelf life. ;-)

me too 100s of them also 5/8th and 1 1/4 inches from 50ma to 15 amps.
The shelf I keep them on is metal so I think it will last a while I might be worried if it was wooden, but then the lastest from steven harkwins is that he thinks the human race (as we know it) only has 1000 years left.