Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Car battery jumper packs

Chris Whelan wrote:
Munch wrote:

[...]

Cheers Tim, I went on to buy this one because of your reply and it
arrived yesterday. Now I just need a mate with a 'basic' car that we
can disconnect the battery from and try it - I don't want to do that on
my own car as it'll lose all sorts of settings

Are you suggesting that you would disconnect the main vehicle battery, and
try to start and run from the jumper pack?

If so, I would strongly discourage that idea - it's not what these starter
packs are for, and could cause you all kinds of expensive pain.

Are you sure? Plenty of YouTube videos of folk doing precisely this with
this battery packs. They're quite capable of supplying enough amps to crank
a cold engine.

If you want to test the pack's ability to start a car with a discharged
battery (which is what they are designed to do), then just leave the lights
on until the battery voltage is below the threshold for cranking.

And then you risk damaging you vehicle battery...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls