Andre Courchesne - Consultant

Default Part of home electrical system shuts down

Sounds interesting. But would'nt the complete house be down if the the
main connection would be open?

One other thing I forgot to mention is that the circuits that shut-off
have 0v and the breaker does not open. Yesterday when it happened I
tried to close and then open the affected breakers and it did nothing.
I even closed and open the main switch and it changed nothing. But
after about 20 minutes the power returned...

I don't have an AC so I don't know what happen to it. When it happens
the dryer works but now the stove (both on 220v).

If it is a missing phase would be all outlets be affacted and wouldn't
I measure around 60-65v with my multimeter? Now I read 0v on affected
circuits and 110v on the others...

I can't wait to get my UPS with monitoring software plugged-in
tonight...

Thanks for your hints and keep them comming if you have any ideas.
I'll be sure to post my findings...

Richard J Kinch wrote in message ...
Andre Courchesne - Consultant writes:

Once in a while, part of the electrical system shuts-down. When I
mean part it is about half of the circuits. I could not find any logic
in the circuits that shuts down or the one that keep alive.

The shut down lasts between 5 and 15 minutes and everything comes
back to life...

Had the same problem. Turned out to be a bad splice on the drop cable from
the power pole to the mast on the house. When the wind blew a certain way,
it would wiggle the splice and open up the connection momentarily. Bugged
us for years until one day I looked up at the mast and saw that the plastic
insulator around the splice had melted and drooped halfway off. Called the
utility (it was their side of the meter) and a truck was there and fixed it
in an hour, their cost.

It is almost certain one side of your main line has an intermittent
connection. Could be outside, could be inside your house. Inspect what
you can, then call an electrician if it isn't obvious.