Posted to uk.d-i-y
Old Basing Old Bloke Old Basing Old Bloke is offline

Default D-I-Y tubular bells - source of cheap pipe?

replying to The Night Tripper, Old Basing Old Bloke wrote:
Did you actually make a set of tubular bells? If you have, well done. If not,
I made a set from 28mm copper pipe and they play quite well. They are a full 3
octaves from C2 @ 1331.1mm to C5 @ 479mm, and containing 37 chimes. They have
been in the garden for about 2 years, and because copper age hardens, the tone
has become progressively brighter.

I used about 30 metres of 28mm copper tubing at about £250, and about £50
worth of timber and various bits of hardware.
If you are interested in making one, I can give you the cutting and hanging
reference I used, and some photos as a guide.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...pe-819099-.htm