Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Reliable Slide Switches?

I have a couple small magnetic-base gooseneck work lights mounted on my
milling machine. They were designed for 20W 12V MR-16 halogen bulbs,
but those get really HOT. After scorching myself a couple times bumping
into them, I switched to LED replacements that draw about 1/5th the
power of the halogens.

They have C&K garden variety 6A 125V slide switches mounted on the back
end. After relatively infrequent use (I only run the mill a couple days
a month), the switch on one became intermittent. I installed an
identical switch & it's been fine.

Just recently, the switch on the 2nd light has started exhibiting the
exact same symptoms. I don't want to keep replacing these things. They
are pop-riveted in place (no easy way to get at a nut inside), and
swapping them out every few years is annoying. I always thought C&K
made decent switches, and of the options on Digikey, they are the most
expensive.

Are there other brands I should consider trying, or do people think I
just got ones from a bad batch?

The only other thing I can think of is that the LED bulbs may have a
funny startup surge that is cooking the contacts. I didn't do a post-
mortem on the first one, but the contacts should be loafing at the
reduced load they are seeing.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Doug White