Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default OT - Charitable Requests Overwhelming

On 11/22/2016 10:24 AM, wrote:
I have saved all charitable requests received in the mail since about the middle of October, just for curiosity. As of this morning, I have more than 40 requests for support. There may be some duplicates in the pile, I didn't make any effort to sort out and throw out duplicates. I use Charity Navigator as my primary screening tool, as well as those local charities my wife and I are personally acquainted with. It still is a huge amount of effort to relieve my wife and myself of our hard-earned pension and savings. What do other folks do?

Give to one charity and often your name gets passed on to other
charities. Anything in the mail gets tossed in the trash.

I give to one reputable charity once or twice a year. I also give
support to an individual that is unable to work. I knew him before he
was disabled and I know his problem is legit so I don't mind helping out
with a few thing like internet and food for his dog.

I can afford to give what I can but if you are tight with pension and
savings, your comfort should not be put at risk.