Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] lagagnon@gmail.com is offline

Default Troubleshooting RFI from switch-mode PS

On Monday, 21 November 2016 21:15:58 UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

That's nice. Now, for the 2nd time, will you kindly disclose the
model number of the power supply. Is it this one?
http://www.samlexamerica.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=66

Yes, that's the one. Does that make a difference to your assessment?

I didn't suggest that the power supply was overheating. I suggested
that the capacitors might be overheating from too much ripple current.

OK, I understand, and I wonder whether the output caps which I've replaced have
blown because the input caps are not as effective at removing ripple?

... If I do pry, I often find
questionable practices. I had one like that 2 days ago. Nothing had
changed in years before the computer crapped out. Too bad the fan and
most of the insiders were packed with cat hair.

How is that relevant to my post and my situation?

I rarely have any problems with the input caps. It's the lower
voltage caps that blow.

See my suggestion above....