Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Possibly OT computer replacement

On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 14:18:11 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 13:58:11 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 13:31:04 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I know nothing about Macs. But most programmes require you to
install them. Not just copy from one PC HD to another.

Many do, many don't.

Surely with a brand new PC and therefore likely a different version of
your OS too, you'd want the most up to date copy of the simple (and
likely free) stuff that doesn't need an installer? So just download it
again?

Sometimes yes. Often not.

Trying to think of any paid for programme I have here you can copy
willy nilly. Sounds like a recipe for going out of business.

You use payware, other than the very occasional app that really doesn't
exist free? It would explain your ideas on this.

Go on then. You are in the OP's position. Which programme you have
currently could and would you just copy from the old HD to the new?

Lol. Newsgroups eh. GIYF. The term 'portable' is often applied, often not.

NT