Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Auto dimmer for LEDs

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 21 November 2016 15:03:17 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 18 November 2016 00:31:41 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
Why don't you replace the traic ;-)

'cos car electrics are dc

Doubt our Dave knows the difference between a triac and SCR. ;-)

Then why did yuo tell me to replace the triac in my dimmer ?

Thanks for confirming my worse fears.

That you haven't got a clue what you are talking about in that it's not
the traic or the SCR where the problem lies it's how and when the triac
or SCR is triggered changing either will NOT change the triggering of it.

So you've not Googled to find out what an SCR is?

And that is why you need to change to a trailing edge dimmer replacing a
traic or SCR will have NO effect on triggering. It's like replacing teh
fuse to get rid of the problem of a short. Do you put nails in fuseboxes
to stop them blowing too ?

I dunno, Dave. It's many many years since I had a fusebox. Or indeed some
el cheapo dimmer that wouldn't work with dimming LEDs. My 25 year old Home
Automation ones do.

--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.