Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Auto dimmer for LEDs

On Monday, 21 November 2016 15:03:17 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 18 November 2016 00:31:41 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
Why don't you replace the traic ;-)

'cos car electrics are dc

Doubt our Dave knows the difference between a triac and SCR. ;-)

Then why did yuo tell me to replace the triac in my dimmer ?

Thanks for confirming my worse fears.

That you haven't got a clue what you are talking about in that it's not the traic or the SCR where the problem lies it's how and when the triac or SCR is triggered changing either will NOT change the triggering of it.

And that is why you need to change to a trailing edge dimmer replacing a traic or SCR will have NO effect on triggering.
It's like replacing teh fuse to get rid of the problem of a short.
Do you put nails in fuseboxes to stop them blowing too ?