Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Troubleshooting RFI from switch-mode PS

On Mon, 21 Nov 2016 19:20:43 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I will respond to some of the posts above, without discussing
the side topic of poorly manufactured capacitors etc.

Sorry for the topic drift, but my intuition tells me that the noise is
somehow related to the bulging caps.

1) the PS is rated at 35A, but I rarely draw more than 18A -
and that is not a continuous draw.

That's nice. Now, for the 2nd time, will you kindly disclose the
model number of the power supply. Is it this one?
http://www.samlexamerica.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=66

2) I run the PS in a cool room, and also as a result of point
1 above the cooling fan has never come one (but has been tested
to work). In other words the PS runs very cool

I didn't suggest that the power supply was overheating. I suggested
that the capacitors might be overheating from too much ripple current.
I also suggested that you use an IR thermometer to measure the case
temperature of the capacitors.

3) nothing has changed for 7 years until recently so this is
definitely recent noise coming from the PS as I can switch to a
deep cycle battery instantly and the RX noise disappears.

Nothing has changed is what all my customers say. Nothing means
nothing that is obvious to them. In most cases, that's a polite way
for them to suggest that I not pry too deeply into what the customer
has been doing with the device. If I do pry, I often find
questionable practices. I had one like that 2 days ago. Nothing had
changed in years before the computer crapped out. Too bad the fan and
most of the insiders were packed with cat hair.

I have ordered the two 1000uF, 200V input caps and should replace
them in about 3 days and will let you all know the results.

I rarely have any problems with the input caps. It's the lower
voltage caps that blow.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558