The Natural Philosopher

Default Are room thermostats out of fashion?

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 14:02:27 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

From all of this, I would conclude that room thermostats may be good
practice and used as part of demonstrating compliance with Part L1,
but I can see nothing in the Approved Document that mandates them
and it is certainly a long stretch to say that not having one in a
new installation is specifically illegal.

What they want is the boiler to off, really off, when there is no
demand for heat. There are many ways to comply with this, hence the
"loose" wording of the documents.

Leaving power to the boiler and using the boilers output temperature
stat or return temp stat to switch the boiler off doesn't, IMHO,
comply with Part L1. Basically if the boiler can ever fire without
there being a demand for heat it does not comply.

The boler can never fire without demand for heat if its equipped with a
thermostat. I know of none that are not.