Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default O T Begging charity adverts on TV

John Rumm wrote
Capitol wrote

Is it just me, or are others fed up with the quantity of begging
adverts on TV? If I resonded to all of the, I reckon it would cost me
over 2K pounds a year. I do wonder how much it costs to make the advert
and screen it and fear that most of the doantion is wasted. I have a
couple of charities I support each year, and they don't spend a penny on
TV. What do others think?

I am in two minds about professional fund raisers...

I'm not and will never give them anything.

If I ever do find a worthy cause that can be relied on to only spend
donations on that cause and nothing else, I will work out how to
send them the money in a way that wont cost them anything.

People often complain that only a small proportion of the money raised
goes to the charity in question. However in many cases they are also very
good at raising much much more than the charity itself would typically
raise on its own - so their small percentage is still in absolute terms
significantly more than they would have received otherwise.

That last is very arguable indeed. And still sees vast amounts of
money ending up in the hands of those doing the collecting.

Hence you can see what it in it for the charity.

Yes, but not something I will ever get involved in even
in areas where the unemployment rate is significant.

From the donors POV however its less desirable (although I expect they can
find a way to make direct donations that skip the fund raisers if they
look carefully)

You don’t even have to look carefully, they all have to have
a formal address money can be sent to directly to qualify as
a charity. The problem is its much harder to see what they do
with donated money, even if they are purely unpaid volunteers
involved.

We've just seen these arseholes paying themselves quite literally millions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return...dent_Rod_White