Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default Bandsaw tyre failure issue

rick wrote:
I have a Record Power SBS250 bandsaw ...
I don't use it much, once maybe twice a year for around 30 minutes ...
but every year (or so it seems) when I do want to use it - the rubber
tyres on the outside of the blade drive wheels are snapped.
(both were broken when I went to use it on w/end)
When you look at them the rubber seems to have deteriorated and has
loads of cracks .. this makes the machine a real pain as new tyres are
~£13 each.

When not in use the blade tension is slackened off .. and you can't over
tension the tyres as tension set by wheel diameter.

Anybody else have this problem ?

There is a diy solution.

Starting with a polyvee belt either an old aux drive belt from a car or
one from a bearing and belt place. you can glue it vees down onto the
wheels ending with a scarfed joint cut in the direction that keeps it
closed in use.
Wheels quite often have a camber/crown and the poly vee follows this
nicely (or stays flat on flat wheels.

If you baulk at £13 for tyres, check out the prices for startrite bonded
on tyres!!

For the very best blades and free advice try tuffsaws. I like em and
often recommended on various forums.

Bob