Posted to sci.electronics.repair
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Troubleshooting RFI from switch-mode PS

On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 11:49:41 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I have a Samlex 120VAC-13.5VDC at 35A switch mode power supply for my amateur radio equipment. Working great for last 7 years. Recently it's now producing "swooshing" noise in my radio receiver, especially on frequencies from 1.8-10MHz. Took it apart and noticed blown tops on the 3 output filter electrolytics, so I replaced those. But that did not help.

I could replace the 2 larger input filter electrolytics but they "look" OK and...

The fast rectifiers on the low voltage side can fail/become leaky, and when they
do, they can take out capacitors. Check those.