Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

Default Headphone connector repair

In article ,
bitrex wrote:

Seems like it should be the easiest thing in the world, but I'm ashamed
to admit I'm having trouble with this.

The replacement headphone plug has three gold-plated terminals, and the
headphone lead has three enamel-coated wires coming out: if the plug is
oriented in the 12 o'clock position I have red to right, green to left,
gold to the center pin.

I sand down the wires, tin them, and then do my best to solder them up,
but the holes in the terminals are very small and I don't see as well
these days.

IME, the fiber "strength members" twisted in with the wires are a big
part of the problem. Using my trusty magnifying visor, I carefully
separate out all the non-electric strands and hold them out of the way
with tape. Separate out enough so the strands will be at least an inch
longer than the length you'll need for attaching the wires; more on that
later.

The wire strands are far too small to sand without damage, and it's not
necessary once the plastic strands are out of the way. Just use a
well-tinned hot iron (750 F at least; 800 is better) and a dab of flux
and the insulation will burn right off and the wire will tin.

After the wires are soldered to the plug (and check the connections by
listening; red is not always "right") free up those fiber strands you so
carefully taped out of the way before. With a bit of slack in the wires
(for strain relief), give the fibers a couple wraps around the back part
of the plug and apply a drop of superglue (if it doesn't go off,
sprinkle a pinch of baking soda on it).

Now look around, spot the plug's back cover lying on the bench, curse
loudly, and start over, but this time slide the back cover on the cable
*first*!

Doing it that way makes very reliable connections, and the fiber strands
take any tension off the fragile wires when the cable gets pulled.

Isaac