Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hickeys

On 2016-11-19, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 06:47:01 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
DoN. Nichols wrote:

[ ... ]

Nope! a B&W CRT about 12" diagonal. 80x24 characters.

[ ... ]

I still have an ADM-3 terminal, along with some color Tektronix
terminals. None have been used in over 15 years.

I still have my ASR-33 for the post-EMP Internet.

Do you think they'll survive it? I guess the ASR-33 may, because they
are purely mechanical with NO switches. Not so, the ADM-3.

The ASR-33 *does* have switches -- *lots* of them, in the
keyboard, and various cam-operated ones. But -- they are all purely
mechanical/electrical switches. No logic chips or transistors. (Unless
perhaps you have the RS-232 interface in place of the current=loop one,
or have one with a built-in acoustic modem. :-)

And the ADM-3a had plain TTL except for the RAM chips, so
somewhat more immune than CMOS logic. But if you have one sitting
disconnected, I don't think that EMP is likely to hurt an ADM-3a. Same
for the acoustic modem in some ASR-33 TTYs.

I bought extra dozens of 5x8 and 8.5x11 lined note pads for post-EMP
times. Those and extra mechanical pencils. They could double as
gifts from the primitive race to the aliens in exchange for an AutoDoc
and a ton of medical nannites, whenever that happens.

:-)

What are the odds that the aliens would have nannites tailored
for the human race? :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--