Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hickeys

On 2016-11-19, Michael A. Terrell wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:

Was that one of the old green 3" CRTs? g

Nope! a B&W CRT about 12" diagonal. 80x24 characters.
(Actually, as built from a kit it was 80x12 characters, and needed extra
ram to get to the 24 line capability. It was also all upper case, until
an extra character generator ROM was installed, and an extra RAM to
store the case-selection bit from the ASCII set.

I still have an ADM-3 terminal, along with some color Tektronix
terminals. None have been used in over 15 years.

O.K. I would use it occasionally, if I still had it. As it is,
I use DEC VT-240 and the like as serial consoles for systems which I am
installing. Some, such as the Sun T-5220, made as a server don't have a
video interface, and need a serial terminal to install and configure
them. And laptops are now hard to find with serial ports, so ... :-)

Actually -- the DEC VT-??? ones are better anyway, as the
default terminal type for the serial console is vt-100 -- and what I
have is a superset of that.

I had one of the Tektronix color graphics terminals at work, and
was tempted by one at a hamfest, except that it came without the rather
specialized keyboard -- including the tilting poker-chip for cursor
motion in the pre-mouse days. :-)

They did have one possible problem. A limit to tne number of
times you could reset the parameters before the NVRAM started getting
flakey. (No, I never got to that point because I believed the warnings
in the manual. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--