Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] ohger1s@gmail.com is offline

Default Troubleshooting RFI from switch-mode PS

On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 2:49:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a Samlex 120VAC-13.5VDC at 35A switch mode power supply for my amateur radio equipment. Working great for last 7 years. Recently it's now producing "swooshing" noise in my radio receiver, especially on frequencies from 1.8-10MHz. Took it apart and noticed blown tops on the 3 output filter electrolytics, so I replaced those. But that did not help.

I could replace the 2 larger input filter electrolytics but they "look" OK and I wonder if maybe I should be thinking of also replacing the switcher MOSFET - I don't know where else the noise could be coming from?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

I've never seen a power mosfet do anything but work normally or become zero ohm jumpers.

Are you sure it's the supply? Put a scope to the output and see what's going on. As far as the capacitors "looking" OK, remember that electrolytics need not be vented or bulged to be bad. Either put an ESR meter to *all* of them in the supply (including the primary) or scope them (preferred method).