Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sam Plusnet Sam Plusnet is offline

Default Possibly OT computer replacement

In article , messageboards@j-
towill.co.uk says...

I am considering replacing my desktop computer. what is the best way of
transferring data from my old one to the new?

Spend some time & think about what you have on the old
machine.

You have data - files you have created - and a range of
applications.

Copying your data files across should be fairly easy -
most of the methods mentioned here should work.

The applications are more of a problem since they need to
be installed on your new machine - not just copied across.

Have a look at all the applications you currently have.
(There might well be some you no longer want or need)
Make a list of the wanted ones.

If your new machine has a newer OS (e.g. Win 10) then some
older applications might no longer work.
Google Win 10 compatibility for any questionable ones.

Check you have the installation discs - or if free
downloads - make a note of the download addresses.

This way you should end up with a 'clean'[1] install on a
new machine which should be better in the long run than
cloning your old HDD.

[1] You might have to remove all the cr@p bloatware that
PC manufacturers like to stick on their machines.