Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bitrex Bitrex is offline

Default Headphone connector repair

On 11/19/2016 10:51 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 09:25:31 -0500, bitrex
wrote:

I sand down the wires, tin them, and then do my best to solder them up,
but the holes in the terminals are very small and I don't see as well
these days.

Soldering to tiny foil (tinsel) wires is difficult. What I do is wrap
the wire with one strand of fine bare copper wire salvaged from a
piece of stranded wire. I wrap the fine bare wire around the foil
wire, and then solder to the bare wire, not the foil wire. The wrap
does not need to be tight, with all the turns jammed together, but
rather a loose spiral with the pitch equal to about twice the foil
wire.

I can supply a photo if my description is too muddled.

Nice idea, I'll try that.