Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Bishop[_2_] Charles Bishop[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Rental Cars Without Toll Transponders

In article ,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 8:01:14 PM UTC-5, Charles Bishop wrote:
In article ,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[snip]

As an aside, after I signed the 2 foot long receipt that Enterprise's
CC
machine printed out, I shoved it in my pocket. Later, when I had a
chance
read it, I was surprised at what I signed. Apparently I had entered
into
a short term lease for the sole purpose of obtaining a substitute
vehicle
because a vehicle that was registered in my name had been damaged to
the
extent that my insurance company had deemed it undriveable. I don't
know
where that assumption came from considering I simply made a reservation
through Kayak.

OK, I found the wording and the reason. Apparently I was attesting to the
fact that I was not trying beat Nevada out of the 2% county imposed
rental
fee. By stating that the vehicle I rented was a replacement vehicle, I
was
not subject to the 2% fee. Of course, I now realize that I actually was
(in a legal sense) trying to beat NV out the fee because I made a false
attestation.

Per this site:

https://tax.nv.gov/FAQs/Short_Term_L...Fee_s___FAQ_s/

*** Begin Included Text ***

Effective July 1, 2005 Clark County Board of Commissioners enacted a 2%
County
Car Rental Fee for the lease of passenger vehicles commencing in Clark
County.
The County Car Rental fee cannot be imposed on the rental of a
replacement
vehicle, defined as
- A vehicle that is used by a person in place of a motor vehicle owned
by
the person which is unavailable for use because of mechanical breakdown,
repair, service, damage or loss as defined in the owners policy of
liability
insurance for the motor vehicle.

*** End Included Text ***

Again, I don't know why that attestation was on my receipt since that
was not the case. I was never even asked *why* I was renting the vehicle.
I'm not complaining since it saved me $5.26, which more than covered
the $3.95 transponder rental fee. ;-)

I wonder if I'll get arrested the next time I cross the border into Clark
County, NV.

Now I wonder why you rented the vehicle in Clark County if you're not
going back

Really? You never heard of renting a vehicle at one location and returning it
at another?

Well, I had, but wondered.