Posted to rec.woodworking
Brewster[_2_] Brewster[_2_] is offline

Default Shop lights

On 11/19/16 9:35 PM, Leon wrote:

I cab pinch the ribbon LED beteen my thumb and my finger. Nothing. We
leace these lamps on in our kitchen 24/7 and there is not heat what so
ever.

I use a lot of these LED strips in lighting projects, never need any
heat sinks.

Specifically the typical LED used in strips is the "3528" surface mount
device. 4 to 8 Lumens at 0.06 to 0.08 Watts of power. Even the "high
density" strips with 600 of these parts (over 16') dissipates less than
50 Watts. Higher power LEDs (5050s) are only 1/4 Watt each.
It is when you get into the arrays (more common in point source
lights/bulbs) that dissipate 12+ Watts that the heat is palpable (it'll
burn your finger, DAMHIK), Physically they are a "blob" about 3/4"
diameter, mounted on a 1" sq. aluminum plate which is thermally bonded
to whatever heat sink the bulb has.

-BR