Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default OT - train tickets

"Robin" wrote in message
On 20/11/2016 12:48, S Viemeister wrote:
I'm sorry about the off-topic, but I thought one of you might know the
answer.

I've just booked a train ticket for my husband, to be picked up at the
station. It's my credit card account, he's an authorised user. He can't
find his card...it's possible the wrong one was tossed when the new one
arrived, as he CAN find the old one.
I've heard that in the recent past, people have been able to retrieve
their paid-for tickets from the machine using the reference number and a
card other than the one used to make the booking, if that card has the
correct name on it. Anyone know if that's true?, If not, I'll need to
make another reservation (and will have wasted the cost of an
Edinburgh-Inverness ticket).

It looks to me as if you need
http://www.scotrail.co.uk/about-scotrail/contact-us which offers email
or telephone or Twitter ....

I say that as Scotrail still *say* you need the card used to buy the
tickets. ("Please carry the debit/credit card that was used to purchase
the ticket along with the Ticket Collection Reference.")

*But* they appear to share the ticket system with rUK (eg offering
collection from ticket machines outside Scotland). And all the tickets
I've bought in England in recent years require *a* card for ID purposes -
*not* the card used to buy the ticket.

I suspect failure to update their website. But you patently need better
than that.

If your husband had been able to find his in-date card, would that have
worked? If you bought the ticket on your card and are supplying his card as
verification, would it be enough that the cards are linked in some way such
that his card is an authorised user of yours? Or would they be really picky
and say: "It's a different card number" (and a different registered user
name) without checking that the cards are linked and that the surnames are
the same therefore probably husband and wife?

Companies really do need to solve the husband orders, wife collects (or vice
versa) situation. Our library allows my wife and I to have separate tickets
but has no way of linking them. That means that if we were to reserve books,
the person who collects would need to carry *both* tickets if they wanted to
collect books that had been reserved on separate tickets - at least in
theory. In practice they *say* that they could issue the books on the ticket
that had reserved them even if the person who collects doesn't have that
ticket. We've never put it to the test and always reserve books for both of
us on my wife's ticket since she's the one who is more likely to be passing
the library. And if she can't get to the library before closing time she
gives me the ticket so I can go another day.

What is needed is separate tickets so there's no need for us to lend the
ticket to the one who's collecting, but with the two tickets regarded as
interchangeable in terms of being eligible to collect a book.