Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Possibly OT computer replacement

On 20/11/16 13:12, Andrew wrote:
On 20/11/2016 12:54, Broadback wrote:
I am considering replacing my desktop computer. what is the best way of
transferring data from my old one to the new?

Usually by installing the hard disk from your old pc into the new
one and giving it a new reference. If it was C: in your old
computer (with everything chucked into a single drive) then
it will be D: in your new computer.

Problems arise when the old disk used the parallel ATA interface
and the new one only allows for serial ATA.

Then there is the problem of creating partitions on the new
computer. Years ago Partition Magic and its sister product for
backups, made this a doddle, but there doesn't seem to be much
out there now that can resize and create partitions on the fly.

http://gparted.org/

FWIW I disagree with removing the original HD and using that as the
source of the data to transfer. Assuming the desktop computer is working
ok, I would copy the files to memory stick(s) or another external HD in
a case via USB. If anything goes wrong when removing the original HD or
connecting it up you're screwed. You've quite possibly lost the data. It
would be a rare occurrence, but then who doesn't believe in Sod's Law?

Also it instils the idea of creating backups on external media. How many
times have we heard "You have got a backup, haven't you?"...

--

Jeff