Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Bishop[_2_] Charles Bishop[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Rental Cars Without Toll Transponders

In article , Frank "frank
wrote:

On 11/18/2016 9:14 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Does anyone know what actually happens if you go through a "transponder
only"
toll station in a rental car without a transponder?

On a recent vacation in CA, I found myself approaching the Golden Gate
Bridge
in an Enterprise rental. There are no toll collectors on this bridge, only
transponder lanes.

After I got home, I read the rules found here but I was already well beyond
the "pay within 48 hours" time frame.

http://goldengate.org/tolls/rentalto...php#enterprise

I'm considering calling Enterprise discuss this, even though I am well
beyond the mailing of the violation letter that I assume went to
Enterprise.
I just figured I'd run the question by the ng first to see if anyone has
some
real life experience/advice for this type of situation.

Thanks.

They will have a picture of the car's license plate and send the fine to
Enterprise. I'd only be concerned if they want you to pay it.
I got stuck in one of these lanes, was ill at the time, got request for
$1 + $25 fine. Paid the dollar but they would not accept my excuse
until I sent them a photo of the new zipper on my chest needed to cure
the problem. You also have an excellent excuse if it comes to that.

There's no fine associated with crossing the bridge, only a toll.

However the rental place may charge a fee for paying the toll.

I was there recently as well, but didn't cross the bridge and we had a
private car.

Derby is correct that you can pay the toll by phone, or on line, but
there is a limited amount of time. A friend, some time ago tried to pay
on line and it was difficult. And, of course, with a private car they
send an invoice for the toll to the registered owner's address.

I suspect Derby will have to talk to Enterprise, pay the toll and the
"fee". He might talk Enterprise into reducing the fee as a favor,
especially if he has rented from them before.

--
charles