Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Bannon Robert Bannon is offline

Default How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 03:54:21 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton wrote:

What is your reason for needing to do this indoors?

I'm just trying to improve upon a decades-old process by either:
a. Making it cheaper, or,
b. Making it easier.

Here's my decades-old process of repurposing food jars (both plastic and
glass):

1. I eat the food out of the jar.
2. When the jar is empty of food, I fill it with water (so that it sinks).
3. I then drop it into a bucket of water for a day or so.
4. That softens almost all paper labels so that they can be easily scraped
off with my fingernail in seconds (if they haven't already fallen off).

Now all that is left is the underlying adhesive goop, which I easily remove
in seconds, by pouring gasoline over the jar and wiping with a rag.

Rarely, I need to use a different solvent (such as Acetone or MAF cleaner);
but almost all the time, gasoline works just fine by dissolving the goop in
seconds. [Frank, the retired chemist, will be the one to tell us *how* that
works so well.]

When the goop is gone, I air out the jar outside (still filled with water so
it doesn't get blown around in the wind) for a day or so.

And then I bring it inside to repurpose.

Total time is a couple of days, but actual effort is a minute or two per
label.

All I'm trying to do is improve on this process, either by:
a. Making it cheaper, or,
b. Making it usable indoors